GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc. (GZA) is actively growing its dams, levee and water resource practice in the Mid-Atlantic area. We are currently seeking a Dams/Geotechnical Project Manager for our Fairfield, NJ office but who will also work closely with our Manhattan, New York office. The position offers great potential for professional growth in an exciting working environment and the opportunity to apply the latest technologies to our dam/levee-related projects. The qualified candidate must have strong leadership and project management experience and direct business development experience during their career, with the ability to generate project leads and build client relationships. A strong background in dam and/or levee engineering is preferred.
This position that requires direct interaction with clients and the ability to manage and mentor GZA staff level engineers. The role will also require collaboration with GZA’s current dams/levees/water resources practice leaders on expanding our market presence in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. This person can reside in NJ or NY as there may be opportunities for projects in both locations.
- Conducting dam and/or levee safety inspections.
- Supervising fieldwork including test borings and instrumentation installations and construction monitoring for dam and levee rehabilitation projects.
- Providing data analysis, organization, and interpretation in support of dam/levee inspections, evaluations, and rehabilitations projects.
- Executing and/or supervising engineering analyses including seepage and slope stability analyses of embankment dams and levees, toe drain and filter designs, gravity dam stability analyses.
- Writing field reports, inspection/engineering reports, and permit applications.
- Preparing construction plans and technical specifications.
- Performing cost/quantity estimates and project scheduling.
- Communicating effectively and efficiently with team members, clients and contractors.
- Providing leadership/mentoring to technical staff.
- Interacting with clients and regulatory agencies.
- Executing project management duties including managing and tracking budgets, invoicing, assessing staffing requirements.
- Preparing technical and cost proposals.
- B.S. in Civil Engineering or related field of practice is required. Master’s Degree with a Geotechnical focus is a plus.
- Professional Engineer license in NJ is required with the ability to obtain PE in NY and PA.
- An ideal candidate will have at least 10 to 15 years of experience in civil – geotechnical engineering, with direct involvement in dam safety inspections, condition assessments, subsurface exploration programs, engineering analyses, dam rehabilitation design, and regulatory permitting.
- Direct experience completing projects with public sector/municipal agencies in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania is highly preferred.
- Proven experience with design and development of engineering technical specifications, cost estimating and other related bidding documents.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to speak publicly.
- Solid project financial management skills; knowledge of production support systems and personal computer proficiency are all required competencies.
- Experience in providing technical and project leadership to staff-level or junior engineers.
- A strong background using various geotechnical computer software such as SEEP/W, SLOPE/W, and finite element analysis software such as PLAXIS are preferred.
- Proven experience with and directing staff with AutoCAD and ArcView-GIS is considered essential for this position.
- Occasional out-of-town travel will be required. Candidate must have consistent means of transportation to/from project sites.
GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc. is an Affirmative/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, marital or veteran status, age or other protected status.