Jacobs is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of full-spectrum technical, professional and consultancy services for industrial, commercial and government organisations globally.
With more than 74,000 people globally, our teams collaborate, innovate and create. Our people are proud to have been behind some of the greatest consultancy and engineering feats over the past 70 years.
We foster a collaborative and inclusive environment for our people, and our partners, and we want you to be a part of our growing business.
We currently have an opportunity for a Senior Structural Engineer within our team based in Barrow. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Jacobs Nuclear and Defence offer a diverse range of services including civil and structural engineering, mechanical and electrical building services, mechanical handling, systems engineering, and project and programme management. Our core civil and structural engineering business is provision of design and management services supporting nuclear and defence clients. This includes supporting the UK submarine fleet, designing key facilities at, for example, Faslane and Barrow in Furness, and providing design services for the Atomic Weapons Establishment. It also includes support to both existing and new build nuclear power stations. We also offer structural design and analysis, and seismic and blast engineering services, for conventional power facilities, petrochemical and oil and gas industries, the gas distribution industry, airports, and other industrial clients.
We are looking to recruit high calibre staff to support our technical delivery capability to meet opportunities in the nuclear and defence industries.
Our team at Barrow-in-Furness, whilst integral to the national organisation, has a key role supporting BAE System’s local operations in Barrow. This includes providing civil, structural, mechanical, electrical and nuclear Safety Case services to the BAE Systems in support of ongoing operations and for the future nuclear submarine facility developments.
Working in Nuclear and Defence in Barrow-In-Furness you will be involved in delivering structural designs and analysis/assessment studies in a multi-discipline environment. The team includes a wealth of experience and expertise in seismic engineering, structural dynamics, finite element analysis and numerical modelling. Sharing of knowledge and learning of new skills is actively encouraged.
Our projects involve designing and assessing complex structures to resist variable and dynamic effects from earthquakes, dropped loads and impacts, vibrating machinery, mechanical handling, explosions, extreme environmental loading and fire. This requires a fundamental understanding of engineering principles and the considered application of numerical analysis techniques, for example modelling ductile behaviour, ‘beyond design basis’ response, soil-structure-interaction, and non-linear buckling behaviour. Also required is an understanding of how structural performance contributes to the critical safety function of nuclear facilities.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Developing structural calculations to BS and Euro Codes for under normal and seismic loadings
• Liaise with structural analysts to derive loading demands in structural components
• Technical quality and excellence of your work and the work of those working under you
• Technical and professional guidance, support and development of more junior engineers and technicians
• Communication with clients and other design team members
• Adherence and contribution to business and quality management systems
• Operational and design safety, and developing good safety culture
• Broad experience in civil engineering design and construction
• Good all-round technical design expertise using British and international standards, and/or Eurocodes
• Experience in the management of preparation of drawing and project deliverables
• Good understanding of structural theory and strong analytical skills, with proven problem solving ability
• Good understanding of FEA modelling techniques for static and dynamic loadings (ANSYS, NASTRAN, etc)
• SC Clearance required
• Good verbal and written communication, and report writing skills
• Ability to lead design aspects of projects including managing quality, budget, programme and resources
• Proven ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with clients and other design team members
• Good, accredited MEng degree in Civil Engineering or similar
• Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer
• Experience of structural dynamics, including designing for seismic and impact load effects
• Experience of assessing soil-structure-interaction
• Experience of numerical analysis software
• Nuclear industry experience and experience of safety case documentation
At Jacobs we have recently celebrated 10 years of our culture of caring - ‘BeyondZero’. We see safety differently - we strive to go BeyondZero by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we promote STEM and WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) initiatives. When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity. To find out more about our networks, check out our website:
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.