Jacobs is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of full-spectrum technical, professional and consultancy services for industrial, commercial and government organisations globally.
With more than 74,000 people globally, our teams collaborate, innovate and create. Our people are proud to have been behind some of the greatest consultancy and engineering feats over the past 70 years.
We foster a collaborative and inclusive environment for our people, and our partners, and we want you to be a part of our growing business.
We currently have an opportunity for a full time Senior Engineer within our Ports and Maritime team based in Cardiff. The successful candidate will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Jacobs Ports and Maritime provides specialist technical services in coastal zone infrastructure development. Our team specialises in commercial ports, bulk terminals, naval bases, breakwaters and coastal defences, dredging and reclamation, marine off-loading facilities and sea water intakes and outfalls. We support a wide range of major UK and international clients across the maritime, defence, energy and transport sectors.
We are currently in the midst of an exciting investment period for Jacobs Ports and Maritime during which we aim to achieve considerable and sustained profitable growth. This will provide great opportunities for you to work across a broad portfolio of projects and will offer a platform to gain significant experience.
The team includes a wealth of experience and expertise in all aspects of maritime infrastructure projects. Sharing of knowledge and learning of new skills is actively encouraged.
Our current projects involve the design and assessment of maritime facilities at naval bases, commercial ports and harbours as well as those associated with the construction and maintenance of power stations located on coastal sites (nuclear and conventional).
As a Senior Engineer you will take a key role in the delivery of technical solutions, oversee structural design and the analysis and assessment of structures, undertake inspection work and write reports as well as being involvement in business development work.
The primary job responsibilities are:
• Technical quality and excellence of your work and the work of those working under you;
• Technical and professional guidance, support and development of less experienced engineers and technicians;
• Communication with clients and other design team members;
• Project planning, delivery and financial performance;
• Adherence and contribution to business and quality management systems; and
• Operational and design safety, and developing good safety culture.
• Chartered or near Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer;
• Broad experience in civil engineering design and construction;
• Good all-round technical design expertise using British and international standards, and/or Eurocodes;
• Good understanding of structural theory and strong analytical skills, with proven problem solving ability;
• Experience in the management of preparation of drawings and project deliverables;
• Good verbal and written communication, and report writing skills;
• Proven ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with clients and other design team members;
• Commitment to continuous professional development; and
• Good, accredited MEng degree in Civil Engineering or similar
• Experience of assessment, inspection, design and construction of maritime structures;
• Experience of assessing soil-structure-interaction; and
• Experience of foundation design
At Jacobs we have recently celebrated 10 years of our culture of caring - ‘BeyondZero’. We see safety differently - we strive to go BeyondZero by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we promote STEM and WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) initiatives. When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity. To find out more about our networks, check out our website:
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.