|Job Location||United Kingdom|
|Job Role||Civil - Geotechnical|
|Residence Location||United Kingdom|
Graduate Geotechnical Engineer - Godalming
About the Role
What you’ll be doing
As a Geotechnical Engineering Graduate at WSP you will have the opportunity to work in our Highways and Bridges team. The team provides opportunities to work on projects such as the M25 widening and Upper Orwell Crossing scheme in Ipswich which includes the design of a new 600m long viaduct.
All in a day’s work
We asked our graduates what it’s like to do their job. On a day to day basis, the life of a graduate at WSP starts off in the morning with cups of tea and responding to any urgent client emails.
Beyond that, anything could happen! From tunnels, roads and retaining structures the Geotechnical teams have the experience and understanding of the engineering behaviour and associated impacts of soil and rock.
Naturally, there is a lot to learn and you are likely to be guided through complex software packages, team briefings and client updates from the start. You will be involved with making projects commercially viable, safe, sustainable and effective investigating issues of strength, stability and durability (and where relevant, contamination). There may even be time for cake.
It may also be helpful to know that we have arranged for some of our graduates to attend our assessment centres where they can tell you more about their typical day and what it’s like to be a graduate at WSP.
What you’ll need
- You’ll be graduating in 2017 or you will have recently graduated with a Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering or a related subject
- You’ll ideally have less than two years relevant experience
- You’ll be passionate with the curiosity and creativity to identify and solve problems
- You’ll want to stretch and inspire us, speaking up about any new ideas you have
- You’ll want to throw yourself in from day one and put your studies into practice
- You’ll know it is important to keep everyone in the loop and will demonstrate this through excellent communication skills
- You’ll enjoy working in a team environment, sharing ideas and collaborating with colleagues
- You’ll have confidence to work under pressure with the ability to prioritise and plan effectively
What you’ll get from us
Our graduate development programme is a 3 year programme designed to provide you with both generic professional skills and specialist technical development opportunities. The programme is supported by our senior leadership team and is tailored give you the support, guidance and the development opportunities you need to help you work towards chartered status or equivalent professional qualifications. The structured programme includes but is not limited to training in:
- Technical report writing
- Project management (introduction and advanced)
- Influential communications
- Commercial concepts
- Teambuild challenge
- Continuous Improvement
Across our offices in the UK, we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. This commitment is shown through both our Women in Leadership (WiL) network and VIBE which is our LGBT+ employee network. Our VIBE and WiL networks work with the business to help ensure we contiue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote an inclusive and diverse workplace for everyone.
Our employees also come together through our social events some of these events have included office Olympics, go karting, BBQs and of course the annual Christmas parties!
We also offer our Professional Growth Network (PGN) which is a networking group run by early career professionals for early career professionals. It helps to grow your network of contacts across the UK business as well as providing you with opportunities for extra experience to support you in achieving chartered status or other professional accreditations.
Finally, we have a comprehensive wider benefits package which includes:
- Professional Development Bonus to recognise attainment of professional statuses
- Reduced rates on gadget insurance
- Cheaper gym memberships and Tastecards
- A standard 25 day annual leave allowance plus Bank Holidays and the flexibility to buy and sell annual leave
- The Cycle to Work Scheme (which entitles you to a tax free bike)
- 2 paid days a year to be used for volunteering activities
- The option to purchase additional benefits such as dental care, personal accident cover, holiday or life insurance at reduced rates
- Employee Assistance Programme – EAP offers you free access to specialist advice in areas such as legal, financial, personal and family matters including bereavement and counselling services.