|Job Role||Civil - Geotechnical|
Geotechnical Design Eng. - KED
Date: Jul 24, 2017
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
Requisition ID: 62831
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
• Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
• RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit Engineering Canada has an immediate opening in its Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers group for an experienced Geotechnical Design Engineer. The position is based in Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers’ office in Oakville, ON.
As an essential member of our engineering group, this position will carry out engineering design services. The engineering group is responsible for managing engineering assignments in support of Kiewit’s construction projects in Canada. As part of the engineering group, the successful candidate will work with other geotechnical and structural engineers, members of our interdisciplinary engineering team, as well as estimators, schedulers and construction experts to provide advice on construction methodology, risk and the design of permanent and temporary works.
Responsibilities of the position may include:
• Bilingual French & English (reading/writing)
• Design of temporary structures, including access roads, crane pads, support of excavation systems, slope stability, temporary bridge foundations, trestle foundations, and other features relating to our construction operations.
• Perform calculations, finite element modeling, and geotechnical designs as well as ensure accuracy of the design drawings.
• Produce quantities and cost estimates.
• Have the knowledge and ability to analyze and design according to codes, design criteria, and geotechnical theories.
• Capable of transferring geotechnical design and ideas to construction drawings.
• Help identify design risks and assist with risk mitigation planning.
• Other responsibilities could include heavy lift planning, evaluation of existing structures for construction loads, erection procedures or planned sequences related to our construction operations.
The successful candidate must possess the following qualifications:
• Master’s degree or greater in Geotechnical Engineering.
• 10 + years of relevant engineering experience is preferred.
• Eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer in Canada.
• Strong all-around academic knowledge of geotechnical engineering.
• Experience with temporary structures is preferred.
• Experience with engineering design software will be an advantage; this includes Geo-Slope, L-Pile, Plaxis, Midas, AutoCAD, BlueBeam, MathCAD, etc.
• Experience with working in a team setting.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with individuals at all levels of the organization.
• Strong people skills and an ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment
• Ability to travel/TDY assignments and/or relocate based on business needs
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
Job Segment: Engineer, Geology, Design Engineer, Geotechnical Engineering, Wastewater, Engineering