|Job Role||Civil - Geotechnical|
Date: Aug 1, 2017
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
Requisition ID: 67763
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
• Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
• RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province’s guidelines
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit Engineering Canada has an immediate opening in its Burnaby, BC office with Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers for a Geotechnical Engineer. The Geotechnical Engineer position is responsible for engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation business. This will require knowledge of geotechnical engineering, rock mechanics and geotechnical design associated with heavy civil construction. The Geotechnical Engineer will work on an interdisciplinary team including structural engineers, roadway engineers, drainage engineers, material engineers, estimators, schedulers and construction experts to perform engineering analysis and design. Our geotechnical engineers support project pursuits, awarded projects, and construction engineering. The Geotechnical Engineer will be responsible for overseeing the production and/or review of engineering reports, geotechnical analysis, and directing the work of staff geotechnical engineers.
This position requires travel to project offices and work sites, with periodic field assignments.
• The Geotechnical Engineer position is responsible for completion of engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation business.
• Will provide geotechnical support during the bid phase development of innovative and cost-effective design.
• Will work with the pursuit team during the bid phase to help identify key geotechnical risks and develop plans to mitigate risks.
• Will work with the interdisciplinary engineering team and the design subcontractors to ensure the most cost effective design is developed.
• Will provide geotechnical support during construction for temporary structures required to build the work.
• Support the geotechnical team’s efforts to develop and train junior engineers.
• Master of Science or Doctor of Philosophy is preferred but not required.
• 5+ years of relevant geotechnical engineering experience.
• Registration as a Professional Engineer in the U.S. and/or Canada.
• Strong all-around academic knowledge of geotechnical engineering.
• Experience with support of excavation, earth retention, slope stability, rock mechanics, ground improvement, soft soils, deep foundations, shallow foundations, dewatering, mining, and/or dam design is an asset.
• Experience working in a team setting and directing the work of others.
• Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
• Strong people skills and an ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
• The physical ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environmental conditions.
• Ability to travel to project sites and/or relocate based on business needs.
• Working knowledge of geotechnical design software SlopeW, SeepW, Plaxis, FLAC, Lpile, Group, Settle3D, RocScience, and other analytical programs is a plus.
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
Job Segment: Geotechnical Engineering, Construction, Geology, Engineer, Transportation, Engineering