|Job Role||Civil - Geotechnical|
Sr. Geotechnical Engineer (Ottawa) (Job # 17-014)
Job Id: INF-471052492
Job Sector: Infrastructure
Location(s) and Position(s) Available: Ontario, Ottawa - 1 position(s) available
DST Consulting Engineers
Providing expert, innovative environmental and engineering consulting services - without surprises - is what DST Consulting Engineers Inc. does best. We are a multi-disciplinary firm providing comprehensive services to clients across Canada.
DST’s nation-wide team is comprised of exceptional people in various stages of their career. We come together each day to make the unexpected happen. Growing our team means we are in pursuit of brilliant individuals who can rise to the challenge.
At DST, you are not just any employee and we are not looking for just anyone. DST Employees share common traits that enable them to thrive. They are: Results Driven, Inquisitive, Dynamic, Responsive & Zealous. You tell us, are you a good fit at DST?
If you are and you have the skills we need below, send us your CV.
We are currently seeking a full time Senior Geotechnical Engineer based out of our Ottawa, ON office.
About the Job
- Manage a team of Engineers, Project Managers and technical staff in the full spectrum of business processes and procedures required to deliver excellence in the field of Geotechnical Engineering;
- Lead business development through client sourcing, preparation of proposal strategies, preparation of proposals and qualification packages;
- Manage and/or generate deliverable documentation of geotechnical projects including technical documents, research projects, field supervision and coordination, case studies, and non-technical reports;
- Develop technical procedures and work plans;
- Ensure all staff are trained, instructed on and operating in compliance with Health and Safety regulations;
- Conduct project resourcing, monitoring staff utilization and availability;
- Lead and participate in project management meetings;
- Participate in technical project work as a contributing team member;
- Prepare budgets, monitor project statuses, ensuring accurate records are maintained;
- Establish and maintain accountability for all team members to ensure projects are completed within agreed time-frames and on budget;
- Conduct technical reviews of reports;
- Employ advanced reading and interpretation skills to assess incoming service requests with varying degrees of complexity to apply relevant policies and procedures, assimilate technical terminology and action service requests;
- Conduct career development and performance reviews for team members, providing ongoing support and accountability for achievement;
- Establish and maintain a mentoring relationship with team members to support growth and retention;
- Participate in recruitment, selection and onboarding of new staff;
- Maintain flexibility and adaptability to scheduling changes and occasional overtime, evening or weekend work;
- Travel between worksites locally, provincially and nationally to urban and remote areas for extended periods of time as required;
- Maintain a commitment to exceeding client expectations by consistently delivering high quality of work;
- Consistently maintain professionalism and objectivity while working with colleagues and clients who require varying degrees of support;
- Handle difficult situations with tact and diplomacy to maintain positive working relationships with all internal and external contacts;
- Conduct project administration tasks as required, including timesheet generation and project invoicing.
Education: Undergraduate degree in Geotechnical Engineering required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a consulting environment;
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in geotechnical engineering required;
- Experience must include: management and mentoring of design teams, professional client
- management, project management consulting, condition assessments, pavement and geotechnical investigations and laboratory programs;
- Areas of Technical Specialization:
- Transportation Geotechnics, in particular, understanding highway foundation design procedures and qualification as a key person in foundation & geotechnical engineering at Ministry of Transportation (MTO) medium complexity level;
- Geotechnical Investigation & Instrumentation; and
- Field and lab testing of soil, rock, concrete and aggregates, familiarity with standards from ASTM and MTO (LS).
- P. Eng. designation required;
- Possession of valid driver’s license required; and
- Possession of or eligibility to obtain security clearance required.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills;
- Highly developed interpersonal skills;
- Strong organization and planning skills;
- Strong research and technical writing skills;
- Proficient with use of MS Office;
- Ability to present information concisely and clearly;
- Strong listening and interpretation skills, ability to retain salient points and synthesize information on complex issues;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Ability to effectively and efficiently problem-solve and tackle new assignments;
- Able to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure;
- Exceptional leadership, communication and people management skills;
- Excellent project and financial management skills;
- Strong business development orientation with professional, courteous demeanor; and
- Effective public speaking and presentation skills.